Thursday, February 25, 2010

shoulda thought of that sooner ...

I had an epiphany today.  You know how (especially in Christian mom circles) you always hear that the ministry we have with our children is just as important as any other ministry out there?  It's meant to be a kind of encouragement ... the equivialent of "you're not wasting your time and you really do have a purpose!"  And I get that.  It's true.  Before I was born, God called me to be a mom.  So this really is my calling.

As I've started to dream again, though, a few things are coming to the light.  One, raising my children is not my only calling.  Two, my children are inevitably going to be a part of whatever else my calling is.  Three, my children will have callings of their own.

My epiphany was not really these 3 facts, but more so how these 3 facts should be impacting my day-to-day routine with my son.  I should be preparing him for the ministry that God has called our family to AND for the calling that's on his life specifically.  My prayers for him should be for wisdom in how to prepare him for what's ahead.  Beyond the basics of parenting, what characteristics should I be nurturing in him?  He's such a people person ... how can I cultivate that trait?  I want him to know that no matter where we go or what we do, our family is always a safe place where he can be himself and know he's accepted ... what am I doing to show him that's true and not just tell him that's true?

I know, I know, he's only 18 months-old.  But if I'm not in the habit of this stuff now, it's only going to get harder to start as we have more kids and life gets crazier!

The Bible tells us in James 1:5 that if we lack wisdom, we can simply ask for it and it will be given to us.  So I guess I probably shoulda thought of that sooner, huh ... better late than never!

2 comments:

  1. I like this. So how are you going to show him the truth? Just by example? I think you are such a great mom....so tell me..I think this is such an important epiphany you had!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still asking for wisdom on that ;)
    At the moment, it's been humoring him a little! He's starting to develop a sense of humor and does things literally just for a laugh (he's a little performer sometimes). I've had to really be sensitive to when he needs me to respond to him (usually by laughing) or even just sit and play with him instead of doing things around the house or working. Even at this age, I feel like that sews a seed of acceptance into him ... that I'm not too busy to appreciate what he's doing, you know? There's a balance in it, but I'm finding the more I dedicate time just to him, the more "alone time" he's willing to have, too.

    ReplyDelete