Saturday, July 25, 2009

a person is a person, no matter how small ...

I need to vent a bit. I'm so tired of judgment ... and I'm especially tired, coincidentally, of people complaining about judgment!! (ha ... yes, I'm aware of how ridiculous that sounds.)

What brought me to this rant? I just read through some blogs and articles that seemed to focus on how judgmental, hypocritical and just plain awful the "corporate" world is. As in, if you work in an office, for "the man," get a decent salary, and utilize pens and paper in a way that is not at all artistic, you are clearly everything that is wrong with humanity.

Perhaps a portion of my issue with this is the fact that just about every job I've held has been "corporate" and in an office. I can accept that, mainly because I have no plans to change it anytime soon.

However, a much, MUCH larger part of me is angered because these "righteous" writers are doing everything that they say they hate. Did it ever occur to anyone that all the creative, spiritual, life-giving acts of service that are done all around the world need to be FUNDED by someone who pushes a pen, sits in the corner office, and drinks at Starbucks every now and then??? Why in the world would you judge someone who is doing what they very well may have been created to do? Who are we to assign value to a position instead of a person? Isn't that exactly what they feel from Corporate America ... isn't that exactly what warranted their posts to begin with?

That's the heart of it for me ... when we fail to recognize our own value, we can never really show someone else theirs. These people, who are so adamant about their right to do what they want and not be judged for it, are hurt people and have not yet discovered that their value is in who they are, not in what they do. And just as we comfort in the way we've been comforted, we also hurt in the way we've been hurt ... what an awful cycle!

What would the world look like if people really knew their value? What would happen if we worried more about that then the various agendas that we all like to push?

4 comments:

  1. I think this is an interesting post. I think it runs over into so many more areas of life. Working moms criticize stay at home moms, stay at home mom's criticize working moms, I think people in the corporate world have criticism for people who are in the "creative world" as well. Like what they are doing is not "real work". Then it leaks over into the military world.
    Jasper's brothers are all in the Army and have gone to the "front lines" in Iraq and what not and Jasper seems to get so much more flak because he is in the Air Force and works on a computer (providing communications for the Army and everyone else on the front lines). It's like he's not valuble because he's not a hero "fighting" for our country but what they don't realize is that without him they'd just be a bunch of guys standing around in a war zone. The communications he provides is vital to their success.

    Unfortunantly I believe the only time that the world will live in harmony where everyone knows their own value and appreciates the value of others is going to be when heaven is on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly ... it seems that when people are judged, the most common response is judgment right back. I was always taught that you fight rejection by acceptance, anger by peace, judgment by love ... not that I'm perfect and do this all the time by any means, but I'm just so sick of the hurtful cycle that goes through not just the world, but the Kingdom of God! "Love covers a multitude of sins" ... I really want to start covering the people around me. Maybe it'll start a chain reaction?? ;) ... oh and for the record, I'm very proud of Jasper :). He's not just a diligent worker, but a great hubalish, daddy and friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sista. Have you ever heard the sermon from New Life (from Ted, i believe) titled "Kings and Priests?" It touches on this subject and that God made everyone with a specific purpose...whether "kingly" or "priestly"...but both are so intertwined and both truly need each other. One is not more important or more "Godly" than the other. It's good. you should try to find it if you haven't heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sarah, I'll tell him that!

    And I agree with Danielle, find Kings and Priests it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete