Monday, April 13, 2009

what's the secret?

So, it's tax time. I'm self-employed, so we owe ... a lot. I've been seriously beyond frustrated because it just seems like as soon as we start to take steps forward financially, something just pulls the rug out from under us.

Thankfully, even when I am faithless, He remains faithful! (2 Timothy 2:13 boyeeee)

Today I was reading Philippians 4:11-13. Everyone knows verse 13: "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." The verses leading up to it don't seem to be as popular, but they are exactly what I need to hear: "... for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

I really, really need to learn that secret ... it's not just about being able to do everything I want to do through Christ; it's about being content in Him, regardless of the things going on around me that are definitely not what I want. I can quote "I can do all things" til I'm blue in the face, but I think I need to start to realize what "all things" encompasses. I can be content in the midst of this financial garbage ... just like when we finally get out of it, I can be content with what I have and not continually need more. *sigh* ... can't wait to learn THAT contentment lesson!! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I needed to hear that too! Contentment...in every area...everyday...I love it! I think I'll make that my next memory verse! Thanks girl! Love ya to pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed that too! I think I'm going to post that verse around my house as a reminder when I'm feeling not so content. Thanks friend. You are so great!

    ReplyDelete